Fish love hemp seed. Fishing with hemp is an excellent idea, it seems. Lately, I’ve been reading a lot about hemp for fishing, so that made me wonder if I could use hemp for bait and how effective would hemp bait be for fishing?
What Variety Of Hemp Seed To Use For Fishing Bait?
If you want to use hemp for bait, it’s most recommended to use hemp seeds. Hemp seeds are one of the best for bait and are also easily prepared.
There are different brands selling hemp seeds prepared to use as bait, but you can also prepare it yourself and give a bit of an extra flavor (Secret Sauce) to it so that the seeds can even boost the attraction given off by the hemp seed much further, the result is that the fish will bite much sooner than they would when using “normal” bait.
How To Ready The Hemp Seed Bait For Fishing
You can prepare the hemp seeds for fishing in different ways as bait. When you buy hemp seeds specially made for use as bait, you rarely have to do anything regarding the preparation.
Still, many fishermen using hemp seed as bait add some extra “secret” sauce to it to boost the attraction from the fish.
There are different ways to do this. Here are some examples you can use:
- Using the juice of the hemp seeds
- Many people throw away the juice of the hemp seeds when they take the seeds out of the can or when cooked; they throw away the oil. Don’t do this! It releases all the rich sugars and oil from the seeds throughout the cooking process. This juice is a fantastic addition to ground bait and stick mixes and is excellent when used to rehydrate and wash out boilies. It adds complex dimensions and stronger food signals to any bait or mix.
- Hemp oil works best in both cold and warm water. You can add the oil to, for example, spod mixes to create a dispersing slick. You can also add the oil to stick mixes and ground bait to tempt fish down to your hooked bait from mid-water. Besides tempting fish down to your hooked bait, you can also use the oil to increase the hook’s bait visibility by giving your floaters a liberal coating.
How To Upgrade Your Fishing Baits
Using the “Simple” method for your fishing baits:
- Please put the number of seeds you need in a saucepan and cover it with water.
- Bring the water to a boil and simmer it gently.
- Bonus tip: Add some Soda or Bicarbonate to darken the seeds even more. It will be a smelly (old socks smell) process, so open as many windows as possible.
- Keep a close eye on the seeds; once the seeds are splitting and you see the white kernel inside, the seeds are cooked. Drain and leave the seeds to cool down.
- When the seeds cool down, you should store them in an airtight container.
- You can freeze the hemp seeds to use them for another time.
Using the “Chili” fishing hemp secret sauce:
- You can add dried chili flakes to the hemp seeds before adding water in the preparation stage. Add a full teaspoon for every kilo of hemp seeds. Add the water and let it soak for 12–24 hours.
- After 12–24 hours, bring the water where the seeds are soaked to boil. Keep a good watch over the seeds; when you notice the seeds begin to split, drain off the water and use the seeds as soon as possible.
- Prepare the seeds one day before you plan to go fishing.
Using the “Black Pepper” fishing hemp secret sauce:
- Prepare the hemp seeds again by boiling them in water until the seeds begin to split and you can see their white insides. Usually, this would take around 40–45 minutes.
- Once the seeds are split, drain off the water and put the seeds in a large bucket. Quickly add 24 drops of “Black Pepper Essential Oil” and 12 drops of “N-Butyric acid.“
- After adding the secret ingredients, seal it and shake it super well so that each seed receives a coating of the two attractors.
- Once the seeds cool down, you can use them or store them until you go fishing with your newly made secret hemp bait.
Using the “Hemp Oil” secret sauce (you need unrefined hemp oil):
- Soak the hemp seeds in water for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, put the seeds in a large pan with plenty of water (at least four times the volume of the hemp seeds)
- Stir the seeds occasionally while the seeds are boiling
- Boil rapidly for 10 minutes until the first seeds split
- Turn down the gas and let it simmer until most seeds have split.
- When most seeds split, drain the water and rinse the cooked hemp seeds with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Add a few cups of unrefined hemp oil to the (by now) cooled-down hemp. It will replace the natural oils lost during the cooking process and enhance the final hemp seed bait.
Make Your Ground bait/stick mix with hemp.
Making one of the best fishing baits or stick mix is easier than you might think. And since you already have prepared your super hemp bait, you can quickly turn it into ground bait or stick mix.
Ingredients you need:
- prepared hemp seeds
- crushed hemp seeds
- fine bread crumbs
- oils or liquids (depending on if you want to make ground bait of stick mix)
After gathering the ingredients, you mix them all and then the liquids or oils.
The Tempting Ground Bait Recipe:
Another way is to make an irresistible fishing bait that the fish would love. You will almost have a couple of guaranteed bites when fishing with this bait. This is what you need to make the ground bait:
- 30ml Hemp Seed Water (from the hemp you prepared earlier)
- 70g Pop Up Mix (my preference is FeedStimulants milk protein-based pop-up mix)
- Hemp Pop-Ups
- 12g Whole Egg Powder
- 10g Hemp Protein Powder
- 10ml Bait Preservative
- 20g Crushed Hemp Seed
- 10ml Hemp Oil
- 5g Egg Albumin
If you fancy changing the recipe for a bit, you could replace 5 Gr. Of the hemp protein powder with 5 Gr. chili powder or maybe 1 Gr. Of the hemp protein powder with 1 Gr. garlic powder.
All you have to do now is mix all the dry ingredients and put them to one side.
Now, mix all the wet ingredients. After combining everything, add your dry ingredients to your wet mix, stirring it until you can’t anymore.
Add the rest of the ingredients and mix by hand until you have a nice round dough ball.
When you have a nice round dough ball, break it up into multiple small dough balls by rolling them in your hand.
After making the small dough balls, prepare water with boiling water and put the small dough ball there for 60–90 seconds.
Take the balls out after 60–90 seconds and let the air dry them for 5–7 days. That’s it, your ready to go fishing!
If you place the dough balls in an airtight environment, they should last for 8 to 12 months.
When the hemp bait is getting too old, you will smell acidic vinegar. When you smell this, throw away the bait; it’s too old to use.
** Source Info: Learn More
Using Hemp Bait On A Hook
There are a couple of ways you could use hemp bait on your hook. You want to present a delicate presentation to the fish you are trying to catch, which means the bait should act naturally. Use a 0.10mm mainline to a 0.08mm hook link.
To attach the hemp seed on the hook:
- Attach the seed the same as you would when attaching a maggot, meaning punching a hole in the back of the seed and then hooking it. Using this method, you could catch lots of fish on the same bait.
- Push the hook into the slit of the grain, then move it around so it locks into place but pulls through on strike. It would be best to choose a seed with a small split for this method to work.
Feeding The Fish Hemp During Fishing To Attract The Fish
When you start your fishing session, it’s recommended to throw lots of hemp seeds in the water around the line from where you are planning to fish.
It helps enormously to draw the fish in. Then, for the first hour or two, when you are building up your swim, it’s recommended to throw two bags of 20–25 seeds into the water every couple of minutes.
Before you fish in the area where you were feeding the fish, you throw less hemp in the water. One bag of 15–20 grains is enough.
Following this method will create competition among the fish and cause a positive bite that should be much easier to hit!
If you are fishing in shallow water, your rig should be super light. You could use a 0.1g Sensas Basey, shotted with strung tiny No12 shot across the bottom half of the rig.
This results in a slow fall of the hemp in the water, allowing the fish to notice it, follow it down and take it.
The lines are equally light, with a 0.12mm mainline, a 0.09mm hook-link, and a size 19 Hayabusa 128 wide gape hook. Elastic is a solid No4.
A light elastic is essential, as it will prevent hooked fish from being pulled up in the water to splash on the surface, which can spook other fishes.
Hooks, lines, and fishing rods to use
The hooks you’ll need depend on the fish you are fishing for.
Keep in mind that a hook (and line) that is too big will make the bait act unnaturally when in the water.
The more unnatural your bait will act, the smaller the chances are you will have a good hit.
Here are some recommendations that you can use for several kinds of fish:
LineHook SizeFishing RodBig Roach3–4lb16–2019–21 ft poleBarbel6lb, 7lb or 8lb Pro Float Line1211–12 ft poleChub6lb810–12 ft poleCarpBraided 15–17lb412–13 ft poleCatfish14–20+ lb Monofilament2, 4, 6, 8 (Depending on the size of the bait)7–9 ft poleBluegill2–4lb Monofilament6, 8, 12 (Depending on the size of the bait)12–20 ft poleBass8lb Monofilament4, 2, 1, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0, 5/0 and 6/07–8 ft poleTilapia8lb Monofilament65–7 ft pole
The Best Depth For Using Hemp Bait
It is not easy to figure out what depth the fish are. The best way to find out is by following these steps:
- Let the bait fall to the bottom in the river lake or wherever you are fishing.
- Drag it a little or short hop the line a bit.
- Keep a close eye and try to feel if the fish bite.
- If the fish don’t bite, pull the bait up to the surface and see if the fish bite.
- When you see that the fish eat the bait, you could keep it at the same depth. If the bait is untouched, you should raise it and follow steps two till four again.
When you are using this method for fishing, you need to keep something important in mind. Not all fish are swimming in the same depth. Bigger sizes of fish stay higher in the water. If you are catching smaller-sized fish, try to fish in different depths to see the bigger fish.
Big bass, for example, is only mixed with little bass in the spring. In the other seasons, they are swimming at a higher depth than the smaller bass fishes do.
Watercolor seems to significantly impact how deep bass fish will hold, especially if the water is shallow. The shallower the water, the higher the fish will swim.
Fish seems to love hemp!!! Using the tips provided above, your chances for a good bite and a good and nice fishing day will improve! Hemp is a great product that you can use for many things, and it turns out that if your hobby is fishing, you should give hemp seeds a try!
Buy Yours Here! HEMP
Happy Fishing! Have you used this bait? Please leave your comments, questions, or opinions below!
Thanks for being part of the community!
As an eCommerce seller, the first physical touchpoint you’ll have with a customer is when your package arrives at their door, an impactful impression is key.
Fulfillment marketing, a cutting-edge solution crafted by my friends over at The Fulfillment Lab, is designed to make the unboxing experience memorable by bringing marketing and fulfillment together at scale!
With this strategy, you can create an entirely unique order fulfillment experience using data you’re already capturing—without sacrificing speed or scalability. This makes it possible to:
- Build brand recognition. With increasing competition for eCommerce businesses, you need a way to differentiate and build brand recognition. Fulfillment marketing is that solution!
- Tailor the customer experience. Personalize the fulfillment experience to each buyer using marketing data you’re already collecting—delivering a unique customer experience that’ll leave a lasting impression.
- Create brand advocates. Turn one-time buyers into repeat buyers and loyal advocates for your brand that makes it easier to attract new customers, driving additional revenue from repeat sales while expanding your new customer base.
I figured this is something you’d like to do in your organization, which is why I’m connecting you with The Fulfillment Lab! Click this link [HERE] to get started with their fulfillment services today, or reach out to them directly if you have any more questions.